Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Forum Admin

Turkey
649 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2003 :  09:43:17  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
Türkçe Versiyon Burada

Hi all,

Here are the betas for new enhanced ColorCorrect for max4, max5 and max6. There's no documentation at this point, documentation will come soon with the release version of them.

Please note that these plugins are beta and not tested. Actually you'll be testing it. So your bug reports, comments and ideas are more than welcome. You can use this forum topic to post messages about ColorCorrect 3.0.x.x

Have Fun

New (09.11.2003)
v3.0.2 is released. It's no longer beta, please go to Software Page to download.

/Cuneyt

Metin7
Starting Member

Netherlands
17 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2003 :  00:00:29  Show Profile  Visit Metin7's Homepage
Hi Cuneyt,

Thanks very much for this great new Color Correct. It looks very promising. I've got the suspicion though that trying to load old Max scenes using the old CC causes Max 6 (with or without the new CC) to crash.

Cheers,

Metin

www.sevensheaven.nl - a site for sore eyes | www.metinseven.com - articles, interviews and reviews
Go to Top of Page

Metin7
Starting Member

Netherlands
17 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2003 :  20:38:12  Show Profile  Visit Metin7's Homepage
Hi Cuneyt,

It seems that the problem is being caused by having HSL Space turned on in the CC map of the Max 5 file. If you turn that off, load the file into Max 6 and then save the file there, from that point you can turn back on the HSL Space and all will work fine.

Cheers,

Metin

www.sevensheaven.nl - a site for sore eyes | www.metinseven.com - articles, interviews and reviews
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

Turkey
649 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2003 :  01:05:20  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
Metin,
yeah the crash is confirmed. I'll look into this.. Thanks for the report.

/Cuneyt
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

Turkey
649 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2003 :  01:38:38  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
quote:
"What is the difference between HSL and HSV mode?" /Jon Seagull

HSL and HSV are quite similar color spaces. Actually they are the different forms of HSV cylinderical space. The difference is that in HSV space full saturation can be obtained at Value=1 (therefore to get white you need to pull the saturation to "0"). But in HSL space full saturation is at L=0.5. At L=1 you get white regardless the saturation. Check the below image:

the reason of my adding HSL in addition to existing HSV space is that HSL lets you "colorize" the image easly; because "L" parameter moves from black to set hue/saturation to white. for example
- put a source image
- check "Mono" in RGB pre-process
- in HSL group set "Saturation Offset" to 50

you'll get photoshop style colorize result. it's not so easy to do that in HSV space

quote:
"How does the 'old File Compatibility mode' work?" /Jon Seagull

ColorCorrect now works in floating point (HDR) accuracy/range. The color conversion algorithms give different results for BYTE coded colors and floating point colors (especially when input or intermediate colors include negative/off-range components). I know that backward compatibility is important in production environment. So this option just switches to the old BYTE color channel algorithms, making sure that loaded old scenes will render exacyly the same as the old colorCorrect. This parameter will be "ON" if an old file is loaded and will be OFF for all newly created ColorCorrects. After loading an old file you can turn it off and check if it still renders as you want. Note that when this option is oN you'll not be able to use all of the features such as HSL space or new channels in the channel mapper.

quote:
"When multiple colorspaces are selected, are the corrections applied in sequence or all at once?" /Jon Seagull

They are applied in order from top to bottom.
- preprocess
- RGB->HSL conversion
- HSL process
- HSL -> RGB conversion
- RGB -> HSV conversion
- HSV process
- HSV -> RGB conversion
- channel mapping
- post process

CC is now a bit intelligent too, does not do the unnecessary calculations unless they are needed.

quote:
tried to run Max and i got an error saying that it was missing the "MSVCP60.DLL". /Rom Impas

Yes that DLL is microsoft C++ runtime library and should be present in the system. you can put that DLL in Windows/System32 folder. You can search and download tht DLL from internet. I may include that file in the package but without a full-featured installer it'd be hard to put/upate that DLL into your system "safely". So just do it yourself if it gives that error .

/Cuneyt
Go to Top of Page

Metin7
Starting Member

Netherlands
17 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2003 :  01:42:39  Show Profile  Visit Metin7's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

ColorCorrect now works in floating point (HDR) accuracy/range.

Cool! Does this mean you can process HDR images with CC? That'd be very nice indeed!

Cheers,

M7

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

Turkey
649 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2003 :  02:06:37  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
yup

/Cuneyt
Go to Top of Page

Ruberoid
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2003 :  09:32:30  Show Profile
WOW! Thanks a lot!!! It is really amazing tool!
Go to Top of Page

Metin7
Starting Member

Netherlands
17 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2003 :  10:10:58  Show Profile  Visit Metin7's Homepage
You're the man, Cuneyt!

Cheers,

M7

Go to Top of Page

Metin7
Starting Member

Netherlands
17 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2003 :  10:20:49  Show Profile  Visit Metin7's Homepage
I've just written a news item about the new CC for Max Underground, to let the Max world know they have to download this great new tool!

Cheerio,

M7

Go to Top of Page

Chad
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2003 :  19:02:57  Show Profile
I can't seem to get it to work with 16 bit input though. I made a very dark gradient and saved as a 16 bit tiff, then turned the brightness up to 60, but I get bad banding when I shouldn't. Looks the same as when I use 8 bit input.

- Chad
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

Turkey
649 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2003 :  00:33:11  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
Chad:
I believe the banding you see is the result of max's texture filtering problem. I bet you'll see the same banding problem wihout applying colorcorrect but boosting the "RGB level" in the output rollup of the texture.

In Max3 & Max 4 solution is using summed area or no filtering at all. Summed area gives better results generally but still gets messy with some degrees of scaling.

In Max5 & Max6 they seem to fixed the problem in floating point pyramidal (MIP mappig) filtering. SAT is still a problem but the way the SAT mapping works makes it hard to eliminate the banding. So with max5 & max6 I recommend you to load in RealPixel storage and using the Pyramidal filtering. This is the "actual" HDRI since 8 bit/chan and 16 bit/chan features are resultign fixed point precision within a "fixed range" of values.

And also I'd recommend using the clamp feature with normalized option set instad of boosting the brightness. Normalized clamp is practically the "levels" adjustment as in Photoshop and a more suitable tool to see the dark areas in an HDR image.

/Cuneyt
Go to Top of Page

Metin7
Starting Member

Netherlands
17 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2003 :  01:33:46  Show Profile  Visit Metin7's Homepage
Hi Cuneyt,

Will you be able to write some form of manual in the near future? I read a number of things here I'd love to have around in the shape of a manual that can be referenced when using the new CC (especially tips for successfully processing HDR maps).

Also one special request for a future update: a blur option. The VRay HDRI map is relatively simple when it comes to bitmap functions like blurring etc.. It'd be great if CC could blur HDRI maps for use with the VRay HDRI map.

Cheers,

Metin

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

Turkey
649 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  12:19:19  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
Version 3.0.1.x is released.. please see the first message for the details

/Cuneyt
Go to Top of Page

Metin7
Starting Member

Netherlands
17 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  17:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Metin7's Homepage
Cool, thanks! Is the crash bug removed from it?

Cheers,

Metin

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

Turkey
649 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  07:18:14  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
Rule of thumb:
The reporter of that bug says if the bug is still there or not in a new build... So Metin, it's actually your turn here

/Cuneyt
Go to Top of Page

Metin7
Starting Member

Netherlands
17 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  14:32:44  Show Profile  Visit Metin7's Homepage
Tried it. It works! Thanks!

Cheers,

Metin

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

Turkey
649 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  15:57:54  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
thanks

/Cuneyt
Go to Top of Page

Metin7
Starting Member

Netherlands
17 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  22:59:20  Show Profile  Visit Metin7's Homepage
Hey Cuneyt,

In pre-processing, if I move a spinner with the mouse, the value changes, but the effect isn't visible. When I enter the value in the field, it works.

Cheers,

Metin

Go to Top of Page

Metin7
Starting Member

Netherlands
17 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  18:43:34  Show Profile  Visit Metin7's Homepage
... And a question: can I scale a low dynamic range (8 bit greyscale pic for example) into a high dynamic range image with CC?

Cheers,

Metin

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

Turkey
649 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  20:37:36  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Metin7
Hey Cuneyt,
In pre-processing, if I move a spinner with the mouse, the value changes, but the effect isn't visible. When I enter the value in the field, it works.

I failed to reproduce this problem... is anyone else is having this problem?

Metin: what is the source texture you are using? bitmap or procedural? can you please provide more information

/Cuneyt
Go to Top of Page

Metin7
Starting Member

Netherlands
17 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  21:17:44  Show Profile  Visit Metin7's Homepage
Hi Cuneyt,

If I remember it right it was a bitmap, not HDRI and not a procedural map. I have to admit though that I can't remember which scene it was in which I encountered the phenomenon. Only thing I remember is what I wrote: it occurred in the pre-processing section and the functions worked only when entering the numbers in the fields, not when dragging the spinners.

Sorry I didn't send you the scene immediately. I figured it was a reproducable problem.

Cheers,

Metin

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

Turkey
649 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2003 :  12:00:03  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
ColorCorrect v3.0.2 is released. it's not longer beta therefore to download it please visit Software Page

/Cuneyt
Go to Top of Page

Metin7
Starting Member

Netherlands
17 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2003 :  18:10:19  Show Profile  Visit Metin7's Homepage
Cool! By the way, I'm guessing the spinner problem could be related to having VRay installed as the default Material Editor preview renderer.

Cheers,

Metin

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

Turkey
649 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2004 :  00:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
I've released v3.0.3.6 to fix the max 6 crash problems. Please grab and test it.

/Cuneyt
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Cuneyt Ozdas Forum © 2000 - 2003 Cuneyt Ozdas Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000